Saturday, April 6, 2019

23A – Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage

1. Human Capital- Possible investor connections from athletic connections
V- This decreases the amount of money I may need to ask the banks for as there are people willing to invest in the concept. 
R- Having solid connections with people that have the financial backing is extremely advantageous when attempting to getting a start up going. 
I- Others may have connections also but I believe most of my connections would be people that genuinely believed in me more than the product.
N- I could go to a bank or credit union to get a loan but this would add additional stress to a stressful situation

2. Lightweight(Nike connections) 
V- Knowing those that have to construct creative ways to make something lighter or look beyond what is currently available is vital. 
R- The creative minds in this company have many projects to work on themselves and its a privilege to be able to have their contact. 
I- Many of the best ideas are protected by patents but learning how the ideas came about could be a valuable way of constructing the next method to use to get the best product. 
N- I could reach out to others in the technological field but I am all about outside thinking and seeing how different perspectives can lead to different results.

3. Social Media Platforms-
V- Using my personal social media to great exposure for free
R- I have an established brand and I can use it to promote the item. Normally influencers would have to be paid. 
I- It's not that hard to copy but it is advantageous to have a platform with a solid following to start on. 
N- There are thousands on influencers that could use their platforms to promote an idea. 

4. Large audience-
V- Marketing during a global competition would bring many eyes to the item. 
R- I could use the Olympic Games to market my item during the largest sporting event in the world
I- It is difficult to get valuable spotlight during such busy times, especially if you aren't an Olympic Sponsor but I would use any media opportunities as avenues to promote the brand. 
N- Because of certain rules, only Olympic brands can market during this time. 

5.Human capital- Interested people to start up company
V- I don't have to search for people to hire as there is already a group of people interested in the concept. 
R- Finding people that believe in the vision just because of a napkin pitch demonstrates great belief in the product. 
I- Building a support staff of qualified people without having to host formal interviews is a great opportunity.
N- There are companies that help connect candidates with companies but they cannot establish the chemistry these individuals have already created. 

6. Global office- Freedom to work from anywhere
V- This allows employees to work from any location they please. 
R- Most start ups like to work very close to each other to ensure everyone is on the same page.
I- Many companies are conducting meeting from across the world but I don't believe many start ups begin in this manner. 
N- There are programs on different Microsoft programs that multiple people can work on the same thing at the same time. 

7. UF connection
V- The Alumni Association strives to help former Gators better their future. Making a connection through this avenue could be better than searching for someone external.
 R- It's an opportunity to work with someone that may have shared a similar school background with you. 
I- Only Santa Fe students can relate to going to school in Gainesville.
N- This is a very unique bond graduates share. 

8. Secure hotspot
V- This will bring more users as safety has become a crucial standard everyone is looking toward. 
R- Some hotspots can be easily hacked and this puts many parties in danger. Have a password protected one allows for all users to be protected. 
I- It is unfortunately not too hard to copy. 
N- There are signal blockers that provide the same security. 

9. School connections
V- I have established strong connections with many schools in Georgia, Florida, and California
R- It is difficult to create a trusted name or brand amongst schools as the students well being is always in the minds of parents and teachers. 
I- There is value in set relationships with elementary, middle, and high schools. 
N- It would take competitors time to establish themselves in the schools after my company got in there first. 

10. Sponsorship connections
V- The companies I work with have strong connections in the technology field and can be extremely beneficial when looking for additional connections. 
 R- Having a connections that creates a solid network can be extremely beneficial in the beginning. 

  • I believe the financial connections is the greatest element at this point. Having the support to create a product and not have to put myself and the company in a financial hole is one step ahead of the competitors. Surely the investors would want a return but he pressure would be completely different as they would be close friends. 

2 comments:

  1. I like how you have a lot of different connections at your aid for your business idea. Connections are by far the most important aspect of any business because regardless of how good of an idea you have, if nobody knows about it, it will never amount to anything. I think that it is definitely good to have a variety of connections as well, especially financial connections that you mentioned as being your most important resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your self defined list of unfair advantages, I think that it is far to say that an abundance of what sets you apart is your human capital and industry connections. However I found it delightfully surprising that you mentioned being in the UF Alumni as an unfair advantage, because it certainly is as the gator nation continue to have the highest income network of any Florida Alumni group.

    ReplyDelete